If you are searching for pedestrian accident lawyers or attorneys in Mesa, Arizona, The Bradshaw Firm can help! If you or someone you loved has been injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, it is important that you find an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer right away to get you compensation for damages you or your loved one has incurred. Give The Bradshaw Firm’s pedestrian accident lawyers a call today at 480.835.5553 for a free case review.
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS & INJURIES
Pedestrian accidents are among the most serious of all crashes involving a motor vehicle. Last year alone 1,310 pedestrians were injured and 136 pedestrians were killed in Arizona. According to the Arizona Department of Transportation, in 2009 the percentage of pedestrians killed as a result of an accident was nearly 8% of all pedestrian accidents while the percentage of bicyclists killed was about 1% of bicycle accidents. Pedestrians are afforded little protection from contact with motor vehicles, especially those moving at high or even moderate rates of speed.
Many pedestrian accidents are preventable and are the result of inattentive drivers. Negligent drivers are often quick to blame the pedestrian for being at fault, although the negligent driver is almost always at fault. As a result, insurance companies often refuse to compensate pedestrians for their injuries. If you have sustained injuries as a result of a pedestrian accident, contact the Bradshaw Firm for a free consultation.
1000’s of pedestrians are killed or injured in auto/pedestrian accidents each and every year. When a pedestrian accident occurs there is usually someone who is help liable for the cause of the accident. Parties that can be held liable for pedestrian accidents include the driver of the automobile, the company in charge of road maintenance where the accident took place or the pedestrian themselves.
Both drivers and pedestrians have the responsibility to protect others and avoid accidents by obeying the laws of the road. both much use proper care during driving or walking on a public road and failure to do so can be considered negligence.
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS CAUSES BY DRIVERS
In most pedestrian related accident cases, the driver of the automobile is usually the party at fault and is required provide compensation for the injured pedestrian for their damages. Possible causes for pedestrian accidents where the driver is at fault include:
- Driver failed to use proper care while driving around children (school zone)
- Driver failed to use turn signals
- Driver disregarded traffic or weather conditions
- Driver failed to use traffic signal or stop sign
- Driver failed to yield at crosswalk
- Driver is speeding
- Driver is texting and driving
- Driver is distracted
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS CAUSES BY PEDESTRIANS
In a small amount of pedestrian related accident cases, the pedestrian is at fault and is required to provide compensation for the injured driver for their damages. In cases where the pedestrian is at fault, they will usually have to pay for their own medical bills, plus pay for the driver’s injuries and expenses as well. These expenses may include property damage, lost wages, medical expenses, etc.). Possible causes for pedestrian accidents where the pedestrian is at fault include:
- Pedestrian stepped in front of a moving vehicle
- Pedestrian stepped into traffic
- Pedestrian disregarded walk signals
- Pedestrian failed to use crosswalk
WHAT DO I DO IF I AM INVOLVED IN A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT?
If you or someone you love was injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, your first step should be to report the pedestrian accident to local law enforcement and then call your insurance company. Never admit responsibility for the pedestrian accent, leave the crash scene or give a recorded statement to your insurance company. Also, be sure to get a list of names, contact information and statements from any person who may have witnessed the accident.
PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT STATISTICS
According to Traffic Safety Facts, in the US over 5,376 pedestrians were killed and 70,000 were injured in 2015.
- Pedestrian accidents that resulted in fatalities increased 9.5% from 2014-2015
- 2015 had the highest amount of pedestrians in a year since 1996
- In traffic crashes, a pedestrian was injured every 7.5 minutes / killed every 1.6 hours in 2015
- Of all traffic fatalities in 2015, 15% were from pedestrian accidents
- In 2015, the most common time pedestrian fatalities occurred was from 6pm to 8:59pm
- More than 1/5 or 21% of children 14 years old or younger that were killed in traffic crashes were actually pedestrians
- Males made up 2/3 of pedestrian fatalities due to crashes in 2015
- Alcohol was reported being involved in 48% pedestrian crashes that resulted in fatalities
- Single vehicles were the cause of 90% of fatal traffic crashes involving pedestrians
- Almost 20% of pedestrian fatalities were caused by a hit and run in 2015